Partnerships Create Success
Our partners are crucial to the success of our work. They provide guidance, financial contributions, employment opportunities and much more. Read below to learn more about several of our partners and the many ways they help prepare our Scholars for success.
Liner LLP's Scholarship Program proudly partners with South Central Scholars to engage and mentor academically outstanding, but under-served, students in the greater Los Angeles area. Liner and SCS's unique collaboration allows for hands-on participation between members of our firm and young scholars from the time they enter the program as high school seniors through college graduation and beyond.
Working with SCS allows Liner to vastly expand its impact on its student participant's success, enabling the firm to personally connect with 10 new participants each year. We now have an annual cohort of 40 students and we maintain relationships with many of them well past their completion of the program. Our scholars have the opportunity to work at Liner's offices, gaining valuable work experience and exposure to an office setting. The program pairs each scholar with a mentor who supports and counsels them directly, forming lasting personal bonds.
Liner LLP has a longstanding commitment to reinvestment in the local community – it is a foundational tenet of our firm culture. Given our great success working with SCS, we encourage other local businesses interested in enhancing their community engagement to consider a partnership with SCS - it is an opportunity to deliver structured, impactful support and to build lifelong relationships with LA's most important asset - its youth.
Stuart A. Liner Managing Partner, Liner Law Firm
Creating diverse opportunities
Our broad range of partners allow Scholars to see a diverse and exciting sampling of opportunities for their future. By creating substantial partnership opportunities across several industries we prepare Scholars for anything they want to pursue.
Zenith Insurance Company has been a proud partner with South Central Scholars since 2010. From a modest beginning, driven by one committed executive, Zenith has continued to grow its relationship in myriad ways.
Today, Zenith sponsors individual Scholars attending college, provides both tuition aid and employment to students within its program, and supports the overall SCS mission as well. Some of Zenith’s contributions include:
- Providing scholarships and paid internships to 4-5 Zenith Scholars annually who are attending college. The program currently has 17 participants, with the first one now in a graduate program after completing his undergraduate degree in 3 years at USC.
- Hosting 2 annual career days designed to give all SCS students core knowledge about resume building, networking, interviewing and life skills.
- Representation on the SCS Board and Mentorship Committee to help SCS now and into the future.
- Aiding incoming Scholars with college essay writing.
- Matching Scholars in addition to those already in the Zenith Scholars program with mentors in the students’ preferred field, including medical, legal, actuarial and engineering.
- Enlisting new corporate sponsors to become long-term supporters of SCS.
SCS’ mission is aligned with Zenith’s own motto to “Do the right thing the right way,” and Zenith looks forward to many years of partnership with SCS and its wonderful Scholars.
Kari L. Van Gundy President and Chief Executive Officer
The Caruso Family Foundation
Founded in 1991, the Caruso Family Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of children and their families throughout Southern California. Our partnership with South Central Scholars has been an incredibly rewarding and beneficial one. The Foundation, through our company, Caruso Affiliated, supports 15 South Central Scholars each year that we brand “Caruso Scholars” – these students become part of our corporate family and enjoy a special VIP welcome event each year at The Grove that has become a staple of our scholar onboarding. Our overall involvement includes:
- Providing scholarships and internship opportunities for our “Caruso Scholars.”
- Representation on the SCS Board and integration into the Operation Progress ecosystem.
- Providing corporate mentors to select college scholars in the program.
- Utilizing our employees to help with college essay writing, tutoring and event planning for SCS.
- Hosting career overview sessions at our corporate offices with specialized presentations from our executives.
Tina and Rick J. Caruso